Hurricane Ida Data Recovery
What to do if you encounter computer storage equipment that has been damaged by water and severe flooding.
For those of you that may encounter damaged devices due to Hurricane Ida. Here are some quick DO‘s and DON’Ts for the best chances of data recovery on water damaged devices:
- DO leave the device ‘as is’. Don’t try and clean off excess dirt or debris that may have occurred in a flood or disaster. Wiping debris from drives and media can cause greater damage to the electronic components of the device.
- DON’T attempt to dry the water damaged drive. While it’s often your first instinct, doing so will decrease chances of recovery.
- DO put it in a bag and help it retain moisture from water submersion. An unused sponge will help prevent further damage. As the moisture levels decrease corrosion levels and damages increase. (Think dried salt crust from ocean water)
- DON’T power the device on. If there is water on any of the electrical components or internals of a drive, you can ruin your customers chances of recovery forever.
- DO let us know if your shipment containers items damaged in a natural disaster so that we can take additional precautions prior to opening the package.
- DON’T hesitate to find out if we can help. We have the right tools and equipment to safely evaluate the chances of recovery quickly.
Please feel free to call us or use our web form for more information if any of your devices have come into contact with water.