Flashback Data offers risk free data recovery services for your desktop, laptop, or external hard drives. Our advanced recovery techniques allow us to repair and recover your critical data from any type of hard drive quickly. Whether you need to recover deleted files, suffered from a computer virus, or have had a full blown hard drive crash, Flashback Data has the solution for you. Hard drive disk recovery is one of our specialties. With our state-of-the-art, secure lab, you can trust your data is in good hands at Flashback Data.
Hard drives are becoming increasingly less common in laptops, but much more common as external storage devices which leaves them prone to being knocked over or dropped. Flashback Data can even recover from these drops.
General hard drive recovery is usually accomplished through four steps: You will submit paperwork about your hard drive so we can diagnose your device, we provide a quote for the recovery process, we repair your hard drive, and we send the device back to you. This allows us to provide the most efficient and successful recovery.
Common Causes of Hard Drive Failure
Hard drives fail for a multitude of reasons. Failures are caused by:
- Wear and tear. Using hard drives daily will wear them out and eventually cause failures.
- Impact. Roughly handling portable electronics, dropping them, or accidentally bumping into them while plugged in will cause problems over time.
- Liquids. Accidental coffee spills, water damage, and other instrusie liquids can harm external and internal hard drive components.
- Electrical problems. Power surges and electrical storms can damage storage devices.
- High temperatures. Poor ventilation and high-operating temperatures may cause premature failures.
- Overwriting. Hard drives are unbootable when important system areas are overwritten.
- Logical failure. Operating system errors, viruses, and accidents can create logical file system damage.
- Manufacturer’s defect. Many drives fail because of firmware bugs or faulty parts. Manufacturers may have warranties against failures but they will only replace the device and not the data.
Signs of a General Hard Drive Failure
There are signs you can look for if you think your hard drive is failing, including:
- Repetitive clicking noises coming from your computer usually means mechanical damage to your hard drive
- A message saying Missing Operating System or the Operating System cannot be found
- Computer BIOS cannot detect a hard drive at startup
- A silent hard drive could signal an electrical problem
- Very slow file access often indicates data corruption
- Endless loop when trying to reboot the system or recurring BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)
- Computer asks to format the drive when it is mounted
- USB drive or device is not recognized when inserted
Hard Drive Recovery Process
Flashback Data’s customer service representative will provide a scenario-based quote and explain the process.We also provide a time estimate according to your chosen service level. We offer many options from low-cost and low-priority to emergency and same-day service.
Step 1: Paperwork
You can fill out the required paperwork here or click Send your Media! below to electronically fill it out and receive an optional UPS shipping label for free. We can also send the paperwork through email if you want to fill it out manually. You can ship your damaged media to us or bring it to our lab.
Step 2: Check-in
We will send you a confirmation email and call you once your media arrives safely and we have checked your job into our system. The email will contain a username and password to easily track your data recovery job’s status via our client portal.
Step 3: Diagnosis
Once our technicians have diagnosed your drive, you will receive a firm quote of the recovery cost. At this point, you can choose to accept or decline the recovery.
Step 4: Recovery
If you accept the recovery quote, we will begin the recovery process. You can always view your recovery status via the client portal or by calling us at 866.786.5700. Once we have successfully recovered your information, we will provide a file listing of what we recovered so you can check and verify a good recovery.
Step 5: Transfer
We will place your recovered data on another media form after you have reviewed and approved the file listing. We will then ship the data back to you or you can pick it up from our facilities.
That’s it! If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at any time.
Deleted files? We have got you covered there too.
For more data recovery information read about:
Read about how our process works from your computer to our lab and back.
Read about our No-Data, No-Fee Guarantee and get your media evaluated at no cost.
Learn about all of the types of media and system types we recovery from.
Read all about our accredited data recovery lab
Visit our frequently asked questions page.
Clicking Hard Drive Data Recovery
Do you hear a abnormal clicking sound coming from your computer? If so, do not continue to make attempts at recovering the data. You will only cause further damage. That clicking sound is most likely your hard drive. A clicking hard drive can mean several things including:
Damaged or failed read/write heads
Damage to the servo area of the disk platters
Physical damage to the magnetic surface of the platters
Damaged electronics or head preamplifier
Flashback Data can recover your lost data from any of the above problems and more by utilizing our state of the art tools and techniques as well as our Class 10 Cleanroom Environment. The internal mechanical components of a hard disk drive are very sensitive and can easily be further damaged by an inexperienced technician without the proper tools. If the hard drive heads or platters are exposed to dust or debris, your data is in jeopardy.
And as always, please feel free to contact Flashback Data via phone or web form at anytime 24 hours a day 7 days a week.