Title: Senior Digital Forensics Examiner
Who We Are:
As a data recovery and digital forensics firm, Flashback Data, LLC has provided high-level electronic device examination and consulting services to clients throughout the U.S. and abroad since 2004. Flashback Data, LLC is an International Standards Organization (ISO) 17025:2005-compliant computer forensic laboratory, governed by the ANSI-ASQ National Accreditation Board (ANAB). Not only do we serve as the dedicated digital crime lab for a number of law enforcement agencies across the nation, but we also conduct forensic investigations of cell phones, computers, and other media for private citizens, corporations, and attorneys. Whether civil or criminal, defense or prosecution, we provide our clients with thorough, objective analyses to ensure that relevant digital artifacts are provided in an understandable manner.
What We Do:
Flashback Data, LLC provides expert forensic services related to intellectual property theft, family law, corporate law, and other civil litigations. Additionally, we regularly examine devices related to homicides, suicides, child abuse, and other criminal cases, as either the prosecution or defense expert. Other services include digital forensic consultation, affidavit and protocol drafting, and scientific wipe validations for major corporations. Our digital forensic examiners testify in depositions and during trial in court on a regular basis. For all cases involving examination of digital evidence, Flashback Data, LLC provides its clients with peer-reviewed detailed laboratory reports that are professional, comprehensive, and clear in nature.
We strive to consistently provide the highest level of digital forensic services in the industry, with an emphasis on reporting and providing relevant and objective findings to our clients. We consistently work to discover new methods of accessing and analyzing digital systems in order to provide factual evidence in every engagement.
Who We Want:
We are looking to expand our forensics team with self-motivated individuals capable of managing numerous high-level projects. We require our examiners to function at a high caliber level, while maintaining meticulous attention to detail. Our team is currently comprised of independent, outside-the-box thinkers who excel at solving problems for our clients, regardless of challenges that may arise. All members of our team must be proficient in report writing, as lab reports are our final “products” presented to our clients. We want to incorporate investigators who exude confidence in their knowledge and abilities, and who adapt to the ever-evolving field of digital forensics.
- Experience in examination of digital devices, including computers, servers, and mobile devices
- Strong understanding of file systems, operating systems, and common digital forensic artifacts and methodologies
- Proficient in developing detailed reports
- Experience in managing multiple projects, from inception to completion
- Ability to employ multiple forensic tools for a given analysis
- Experience in effective communication with clients
- Ability to clearly articulate thoughts and findings to clients and jury members
- History of problem solving and taking initiative to research possible resolutions, as necessary
- Understand importance for developing new methods and solutions to adapt to new technology
- At least one of the following forensic certifications:
- CFCE, GCFE, GCFA, OSCP, CISSP, Cellebrite, etc.
- Forensic training through one of the following organizations:
- SANS, IACIS, NW3C, U.S. Military, U.S. Secret Service, etc.
- Proven ability to interface with clients and develop examination objectives based on clients’ needs
- Testimony experience and qualification as a digital forensics expert in court
- Willing to undergo background check, in accordance with local law/regulations
- You enjoy developing and fostering a professional relationship with a variety of clients
- You communicate effectively with your team members
- You are able to adapt to changing objectives of clients
- You are meticulous and take pride in the work you produce
- You enjoy problem-solving and accept new challenges without hesitation in order to increase your skill and knowledge-base
- You excel when placed under pressure of deadlines, without compromising your work product
Location / Re-Location / Schedule
- Located in Austin, Texas
- Monday through Friday, 0800 to 1700 hours
- May require after-hours or weekend work for expedited or on-site engagements
- Involves travel within and outside of Texas for on-site and testimony engagements
- Relocation incentives on a case-by-case basis
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, but not required
- At least five (5) years of relevant experience
Forensic Challenge/How to Apply:
Attached is a test to see if you have what it takes to move forward in the process toward becoming an elite Flashback Data forensic examiner. Below are the test instructions:
- Examine the DD file provided via the following link: https://www.flashbackdata.com/downloads/Want@Job.zip
- Undelete and restore the files from the DD image like the were never deleted.
- Recovery must be conducted without using a data recovery or forensic tool
- Once recovered, the deleted files should be readily accessible and functional
- You may use any free hex editor, or WinHex
- Capture screenshots of the Root Directory and FAT table
- Mount the image
- Capture a screenshot of the contents of the recovered data in tile view in Windows Explorer
- Several free tools are available that allow you to mount a DD image, such as FTK Imager
- Provide the MD5 hash of the recovered files
- Develop a professional lab report outlining your processes and results
- Send your final report to firstname.lastname@example.org
Flashback Data is an equal opportunity employer.